Where has this week gone! Thursday already and I am just blogging my birthday cake of choice! I hate to admit it, but chocolate won for a couple of reasons: it sounded faster, easier, we have already made it so I knew it was delicous and I love chocolate. If I have a choice between chocolate and something else, chocolate usually wins but I will blog the Coconut Cake someday! The cake I made was a flourless chocolate cake adapted from allrecipes.ca
I have always enjoyed cooking with my kids and as a result they are pretty handy in the kitchen. There is rarely a dull moment in our house and the kitchen holds no exceptions especially when your manchild decides to test the limits of bowl size, mixer speed, etc. I truly didn't know whether all of the butter Zach put into the double boiler bowl was going to fit! Check out the picture below!
Gluten free Flourless Chocolate Cake
- 4 (1 ounce) squares semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup melted honey
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Grease an 8 inch round cake pan, and dust with cocoa powder. If you want a two layer cake like ours, double the recipe.
2. In the top of a double boiler over lightly simmering water, melt chocolate and butter. If you do not have a double boiler, use a heat proof bowl over a pot of simmering water like Zach did.
3. Remove from heat, and stir in honey, cocoa powder, eggs, and vanilla. Pour into prepared pan or pans.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
5. Ice in whatever manner you want! In our house this often means raspberry jam in between layers (like my mom did when I was little) and peanutbutter chocolate ganache made by combining dark chocolate with peanutbutter and coconut oil.
When you blog, every meal is a photo shoot opportunity. Hubby is hamming it up as usual, behind the cake. We will see if he mentions this pic being in the blog! Then I will know whether he is a dedicated reader! Thanks for your birthday wishes!