Freezer friendly meals are among my favourites, especially when they are easy on the wallet! I love to take an afternoon and make a huge pot of beef base, add different ingredients to change it up and freeze a pile of different meals. Then whenever you want something quick to prepare, you have a ready-made meal to pull out of the freezer and enjoy. Today I am sharing my budget-friendly Beef Master Mix recipe and a number of ways in which I use it.
Ground Beef Master Mix
- 3 lb lean ground beef
- 2 large yellow onions
- 3 small to medium zucchinis
- 1 red bell pepper
- 6 stalks celery
- 1 1/2 lb mushrooms
- 4-6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 - 750 ml bottles of spaghetti sauce (your choice)
- 1 - 500 ml bottle pasatta (tomato puree)
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tsp ground pepper
Because this is such a large recipe, it must be cooked in stages. Brown beef in a large frying pan until no longer pink and put into a large stock pot. Chop, slice, and dice veggies and saute in the pan previously used for the beef. When softened, add to pot with the beef. Ensure you deglaze the browned bits from the pan using a little water and also add this to the stock pot.
Place the pot of beef and veggies over medium low heat and add the remaining ingredients. Simmer for about an hour to allow all flavours to mingle.
Your Master Mix is now ready to be used as you wish! This is what I used mine for:
- 2 L of Hamburger Soup (added beef broth, 2 cups cabbage, oregano, fennel and celery seed)
- 3 - 4 cup containers of my favourite Chili (recipe found here)
- 1 - 9x13 pan of Lasagna (added basil, oregano and thyme, used eggplant as noodles and added cheese)
- 1 - 4x8 pan of Lasagna
- 500 ml of Spaghetti Sauce (added black olives, basil, oregano, thyme and fennel)
I placed all of these make-ahead meals in the deep freeze. Now I have the convenience of pulling out a freezer friendly meal whenever I am short on time, that is unless, my son Zach doesn't raid the freezer when he comes home from college!
Do you have any favourite freezer meals that you like to make?
Shared at: Allergy Free Wednesdays